Jim's parents were not exactly what i expected after he went on and on about them. His mother was this rather round person that had an expensive short hair cut and perspired a lot which i found latter that she is very fond of wine. His father an obvious drinker with the tumbler in hand waving and expressing his emotions by waving it about. His dad is a hugger which because of my family and my childhood trauma, older men hugging me gives me the willies, not that its his fault but i bore it with a smile.
Jim has two sisters and one brother. Jim's oldest sister Cathy completely fooled me. Jim's story was this. He had an extremely emotional older sister that was completely foolish and dramatic. Cathy had some boy friend that she went off bonkers about, parents were trying to break them up and Cathy said she was going to kill her self. (this family constantly says they are going to kill themselves) So there parents sent her off to Germany to be an exchange student. I could see the parents point, new place new people.
Cathy comes back after nine or so years. She had married an army officer and had two children and was back home in the bosom of her family in the process of divorce (this family is the king and queen of divorce), this is where I met Cathy. She seemed so very friendly, kind, Normal. She talked about her future prospects she seemed to have such high hopes, i thought her a kind soul. I was wrong.
Back to the first meeting of Jim's parents. I could tell of course his parents were sizing me up. Hey there parents, its to be expected. What I didn't care for was i could tell they believed that I came up very short. Each question had many in depth explanations. I felt I was being dissected and spit out with disdain.
Okay this is where I am going to start a little about my family. My mother was raised in a household of a very angry Norwegian. During world war II, Norway did not take sides, so every country that was in the war hated them. Sort of the way U.S. hates France now. Norway was invaded by the soviets and the Germans. My family's women were starved, raped, and some women, babies and men were killed for not wanting to take sides in the war. What my grandfather did not know was since he was in Norway he thought it was only the soviets and Germans that hated Norway. When Norway was poverty stuck after the war and with ten siblings, he had the grand idea to come to America and make his pot of gold and help his family. When he got to America, he was spit on, couldn't find a job unless it was on a fish boat or putting up pins in a bowling alley, he became a very angry man.
My grandfathers anger transfered to my grandmothers body and his daughter. Not so much his son for they are held higher in value. Sort of like the new Mexicans that come new across the border. Girls are treated as cooks, cleaners, and pawns of fathers who find there future husbands. Please don't think it doesn't happen in Texas still. Just go to a catholic church and you will see many functions for this purpose. Well my grandmother was a German American. Great huh, just what my grandfather needed, a punching bag for all his hate of German's. My grandmother took it till she was 42 years old and she left taking her very abused daughter and a bit spoiled but petty thief brother. They had 80.00 and one suitcase a piece.
So back to Jim's parents here they are asking detail questions and what am i supposed to say? Yea, my family comes from Norway and Germany on my mothers side and they are extremely poor and uneducated. The paternal side:
My fathers people are criminals, ex con's and murderer's. Yep they are. They are from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan. I have McCoy's, James', Davis', thats right the scum that people wipe there feet on. I have to say the women usually were very introverted or was that inbreeded probably both. They worked like dogs for nothing and usually had more than 10 children. Boys once again were more highly appreciated, guess they made better crooks.
So back to Jim's parents and our first meeting. What am i supposed to say? I tried to wash it over, heck I may even of embellished to make it sound like my family were normal, I do know I wanted to be anywhere but where I was. Which comes to the one incident that comes to mind. The salad bowl. I have been with other dates at nice places, and the waiter always handed us a salad plate. Not bowl for our salad to eat before dinner. To say the least salad was dumped on the same plate as the other food at my parents house and as i was at a HOUSE not a restaurant I did not know people used salad Bowls. Jim's mother made a big "hew dew" about me not using the bowl, everyone laughed at my expense including Jim and my ignorance and it was just the final clincher from the drive up there with Jim being so tense, the deer, and the subtle dislike from his parents, It was a just an awful day. March 20, 2008
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment